Morning Glory Muffins
This article has not been rated yet.
These muffins are jam-packed with high-octane stuff but are lower in fat than the usual suspects. A frozen muffin can be nuked to yummy warmness in about 30 seconds on high power, or wrapped in foil and reheated in a 200°F(100°C) over for about 10 minutes.
- 2 cups carrot , coarsely grated
- 1 apple , peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain, low fat yogurt
- In a large bowl, toss together the grated carrot and apple, pecans, coconut and raisins. This is a lot of fun for your young helper to do with his (clean) hands. Now, measure in the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Sit until evenly mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and yogurt. Pour this mixture into the carrot (etc.) mixture, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon batter into well-greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling them all the way to the top. Bake (in batches if you don’t have enough muffin pans) at 350°F (180°C) for 20 to 25 minutes – until springy when you touch the top and lightly browned on the bottom.