This article has not been rated yet.
25 to 25 servings
These little doughnut thingies are crisp and brown on the outside, yet tenderly fluffy on the inside.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- vegetable oil , for deep-frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Have your child stir together the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 2/3 cup (150 mL) sugar and ¼ cup (50 mL) vegetable oil. Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture, stirring until the batter is smooth.
- Fill your deep fryer or a deep heavy pot with vegetable oil to a depth of at least 3 in. (8 cm). Heat the oil to 365°F (185°F).
- With your child standing a safe distance away, drop the batter into the oil, a heaping teaspoonful at a time. The drops of batter will immediately puff up and float to the top. Depending on the diameter of your fryer, you should be able to cook 4 to 6 of them at a time. With a slotted spoon, turn the floating Mombits over several times as they cook so that they brown evenly on all sides. Fry each batch for 4 to 6 minutes, until evenly deep golden brown and very crisp. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon, and place on a paper-towel-lined tray to drain and cool.
- In a bowl, stir together the 1 cup (250 mL) of sugar and the cinnamon. When the Mombits are cool enough to handle, have your child roll each one in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Yum. Makes 25 to 30 guilty little pleasures.