12 to 12 servings
Start with the basic muffin recipe, then customize it in any of these three tasty ways
- 1 cup plain yogurt , (low fat or fat free)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 12-compartment muffin pan or pop in paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and whisk just until combined; don’t over-mix. Spoon into prepared muffin pan, filling the cups equally. Place in the preheated oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring muffins to a rack.
- Makes 12 muffins.
- In 1 basic muffin: 231 calories, 4 g protein, 10 g fat, 30 g carbs, 1 g dietary fibre, 48 mcg folate, 1 mg iron
- VARIATION Very Berry: Add 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon or orange zest to the yogurt mixture. Stir 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries or halved cranberries into the batter.
- VARIATION Double Chocolate: Reduce the flour to 1 3/4 cups (175 mL). Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour mixture. Stir 1 cup (250 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter.
- VARIATION Whole Wheat Raisin Bran: Substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar. Reduce the all-purpose flour to 2/3 cup (150 mL). Add 2/3 cup (150 mL) whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup (150 mL) natural bran to the flour mixture. Stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins into the batter.