This portable twist on a classic is ideal for potlucks
Mini Meringue Tarts
This article has not been rated yet.
These mini meringue tarts are portable twist on a classic — and they're ideal for a potluck with your best lady pals.
- 18 frozen mini tart shells , 225 g pkg
- 2-3 limes
- 1-2 lemons
- 3 egg yolks , at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake empty tart shells, following package directions. Meanwhile, prepare filling. Finely grate 1 tbsp peel from lime or lemon. Squeeze 1/4 cup juice from limes and lemon, and set aside. Separate eggs, placing 2 whites in a clean, dry, large bowl and 3 yolks in another bowl. Whisk yolks and set aside. (If you don’t have limes, simply omit them).
- In a saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt; add water and whisk. Over medium heat, stir occasionally until mixture begins to thicken, 5 to 8 min (stir constantly near the end to prevent lumps). Remove from heat.Whisk in peel, juice and butter.
- Add yolks gradually, whisking constantly so they don’t scramble. Spoon about 1 tbsp filling into each tart shell, mounding it slightly.
- For meringue, beat whites with an electric mixer on medium until foamy, about 1 min. Add cream of tartar, then beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 min.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake tarts in centre of oven until peaks are lightly golden, 5 to 7 min. Cool completely on a rack before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 7 g,
- 5 g,