Originally published in the Today’s Parent October 2014 issue.
Marshmallow-and-Pretzel Skeleton CupcakesBy Today's Parent
Recreate these frightful cupcakes using marshmallows, pretzels and pipe cleaner. They are sure to liven up any party.
- 94 yogurt-covered pretzels
- 24 small or medium marshmallows
- 24 white pipe cleaners , cut into 5-in. pieces
- 48 white pipe cleaners , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 24 large marshmallows
- black food-colouring pen
- 24 frosted chocolate cupcakes
- 1/4 cup chocolate-cookie crumbs
- Thread a wooden dowel through the smallest opening of 4 pretzels to make the skeleton’s rib cage. Push a small or medium marshmallow onto the bottom of the dowel and slide halfway up to keep pretzels in place.
- At the other end of the dowel, twist the centre of a 5-in. pipe cleaner to secure pretzels and make the skeleton’s arms. Twist a 1-in. piece of pipe cleaner at the end of each arm for hands.
- Using kitchen scissors, make two angled cuts from the bottom to middle of a large marshmallow to make the skull’s chin. Snip two small pieces off the top to round off the skull. Use the black food-colouring pen to draw a face. Insert the dowel into the bottom of the skull until it rests right above the arms.
- Sprinkle cookie crumbs on frosted cupcakes. Insert the dowel into the top so the skeleton looks like it’s coming out of the cupcake.