Maple-Glazed Salmon Kebabs
* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 30 minutes
Assemble the kebabs ahead of time and let them marinate while you prepare the rest of your feast. They'll cook in minutes, once you're ready to eat.
- First, soak a bunch of bamboo skewers in a dish of warm water for an hour or two. This will prevent them from incinerating on the barbecue.
- Cut the salmon fillet into 2 cm cubes. Don’t worry if they’re not all exactly the same thickness—you can always double up the pieces when you skewer them. Have your helpful young assistant string the chunks of salmon onto (soaked) bamboo skewers (followed by a good hand-washing, of course). If you’ll be serving these as a main dish, use regular long skewers. For appetizers, you can use shorter ones. Arrange in one layer in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Pour marinade over the salmon kebabs in the dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, turning the kebabs over at least once so that they marinate evenly.
- Cook salmon kebabs on a greased rack on the barbecue for about 10 minutes—turning once and brushing with some of the marinade about halfway through. The fish should be nicely browned and glazed, but not falling apart.