Lemon Walnut Crisps
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Don’t want to bake them all at once? You can freeze one log of dough for another time.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until creamy – about 3 or 4 minutes. Add the egg and lemon peel, and continue beating until very smooth. Reduce mixer to low speed and beat in the flour, just until the dough is uniform. Add the walnuts and beat just until combined.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a log, about 1½ in (4 cm) thick. Wrap log in waxed paper or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator or freezer until very firm (about 1 hour in the freezer, 2 hours in the refrigerator).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment paper.
- Working with 1 log of dough at a time, unwrap it and place it on a cutting board. With a very sharp knife, cut crosswise into 1/8 in (0.5 cm) thick slices. Place slices on prepared baking sheets, and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until firm and very lightly browned around the edges. Arrange on a rack – cookies will become crisp as they cool.