Jumping Bean Burrito Spirals
This article has not been rated yet.
Rolled and cut into slices, these bean burritos will appear to jump right off the platter. The ingredients are things you probably have on hand, and they can be assembled in just a few minutes. Get the kids to help with the mashing and the spreading. Adjust the flavours with different cheeses, mild or hot salsa, or a dash of hot sauce to suit your family’s tastes.
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- hot pepper sauce , (optional)
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded leaf lettuce
- In a bowl, using a potato masher or pastry blender, mash beans until creamy but with some chunks remaining.
- Stir in cheese, salsa and sour cream until well combined. Add hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Spread about 1/6 of bean mixture over 1 tortilla, leaving about ½ in. (1 cm) border around edges.
- Sprinkle with 1/6 of the lettuce.
- Starting at edge closest to you, roll up jelly-roll-style, pressing firmly to hold shape. Repeat with remaining bean mixture, lettuce and tortillas to make 6 rolls.
- Wrap in plastic in packages of 2 rolls each, wrapping tightly to hold shape. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- To serve, unwrap rolls and place on cutting board. Using a serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion, cut on the diagonal into ¾ in. (2 cm) thick slices, trimming off uneven ends. Place spirals on serving platter, cut side up.