Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Greek spinach hand piesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Frozen pie dough is your new best friend. These tasty pies can be whipped up in no time for a savoury snack or quick app when unexpected guests drop by.
- 2 eggs , divided
- 1/2 250 g brick cream cheese , cubed and softened
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 300 g-pkg frozen chopped spinach , thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 400 g-pkg ready-made pastry dough rolls
- Position rack in bottom third of oven, then preheat to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk 1 egg and cream cheese in a medium bowl until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, then onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in spinach, feta, dill, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Stir in egg mixture until evenly distributed.
- Unroll pastry dough and cut each circle into quarters (8 pieces total). Scoop 3 tbsp spinach mixture into the centre of each dough wedge. Whisk remaining egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush edges of dough with egg wash, then fold 1 side over filling to form a triangular packet. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. Brush tops with remaining egg wash. Using a sharp paring knife, cut 2 or 3 small slits on the top of each pie.
- Bake until tops and bottoms are golden-brown, 18 to 20 min. Pies will keep well refrigerated in a sealed container up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 26 g,
- 21 g,
- 1 g,
- 484 mg.