Greek spinach hand pies
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo: Erik Putz
Frozen pie dough is your new best friend. These tasty pies can be whipped up in no time for a savoury snack or quick app when unexpected guests drop by.
1/2 250 g
, cubed and softened
, finely chopped
, thawed and drained
pastry dough rolls
- Position rack in bottom third of oven, then preheat to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk 1 egg and cream cheese in a medium bowl until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, then onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in spinach, feta, dill, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Stir in egg mixture until evenly distributed.
- Unroll pastry dough and cut each circle into quarters (8 pieces total). Scoop 3 tbsp spinach mixture into the centre of each dough wedge. Whisk remaining egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush edges of dough with egg wash, then fold 1 side over filling to form a triangular packet. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. Brush tops with remaining egg wash. Using a sharp paring knife, cut 2 or 3 small slits on the top of each pie.
- Bake until tops and bottoms are golden-brown, 18 to 20 min. Pies will keep well refrigerated in a sealed container up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 26 g,
- 21 g,
- 1 g,
- 484 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.