Skip the added sufar and fat in ready-made treats with these healthy (and easy!) homemade goodies.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cups oat flour , (or pulse 1/3 cup oats in a food processor for 1 minute until they're ground to a fine powder)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal , flaxseed, or wheat germ
- 1/2 cup dried apricots , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pecans , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine oats, oat flour, brown sugar, flaz meal, fruit and nuts; mix to distribute evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine maply syrup, oil and corn syrup; mix well. Pour onto dry ingredients.
- Butter 8 inch (2 L) square cake pan; line with parchment so ends extend a few inches over the rim. Press oat mixture into the pan, using the back of a spoon to smooth out the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, keeping an eye on them at the end. They’ll seem a but soft but if the top is evenly golden, they’re ready. Let cool 30 minutes before lifting out of the pan. Let them cool even more before cutting into 24 bars (they’ll be hard to cut if you don’t wait).
- Wrap bars individually in plastic wrap of storage containers that seal well, so they don’t dry out.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 21 g,
- 5 g,
- 2 g,
- 6 mg.