Grace's Olympic Controversy Lemon Squares
This article has not been rated yet.
Scandal! Controversy! What would the Olympics be without them? Is it possible that Grace's Famous Lemon Squares are (gasp!) actually Deb's Mother's Lemon Squares? This calls for an inquiry. Pass me another. For research purposes only, of course.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice , (approximately the juice of 2 lemons)
- grated lemon zest , (yellow part only) from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar , for sprinkling on top
- In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender, combine the flour, butter and icing sugar, mixing them together until crumbly. (I use a food processor to do this, processing until the mixture forms clumpy crumbs.) Have your child press this mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. (22 x 33 cm) baking pan. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 20 minutes, until just beginning to set.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice and rind. Remove about ½ cup (125 mL) of this mixture to a small bowl, and whisk in the ¼ cup (50 mL) of flour and the baking powder until smooth. Return this mixture to the rest of the egg mixture, and beat until combined. Pour over the hot base and return the pan to the oven. Bake for another 25 minutes, until the topping is set.
- Cool, then sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into squares.