Full Meal Burritos
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
This is not the type of burrito that you eat in the car on the way to hockey practice. This requires a fork and a plate.
- 3 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 3 green onions , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , squished
- 1 red or green sweet pepper , chopped
- 1 284-g pkg fresh spinach , chopped
- 2 540-mL cans black beans , (or red kidney beans), drained
- black pepper
- 4 large flour tortillas , warmed
- 2 cups white rice , cooked
- 2 tomatoes , diced
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack
- sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and sweet pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to soften – 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach, and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted, then add the black beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until everything is combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a tortilla on a plate, add a spoonful of rice, a big scoop of the bean mixture and top it with chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Fold over the bottom and top, then roll in the sides and place, seam side down, in a baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and filling. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 to 20 minutes – just until everything is heated through.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream on the side.