Fudgy Passover Brownies
This article has not been rated yet.
Because ordinary wheat flour is not permitted during Passover, these brownies are made with a combination of Passover cake meal (very finely ground matzo) and potato starch. They are every bit as good as regular brownies - dark, rich and chewy.
, (or margarine)
matzo cake meal
unsweetened cocoa powder
, or pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease an 8 in. (20 cm) square baking dish.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butter. Place in the microwave and microwave on high power for one minute. Remove from the microwave and stir until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. (Depending on your microwave oven, you make need a few seconds more or less.) Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the matzo cake meal, cocoa powder and potato starch.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy – about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the chocolate mixture until smooth, then add the cake meal mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Batter will be thick. Stir in the chopped nuts if you’re using them, and spread in the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or just until the entire surface has puffed slightly. Brownies will still be moist in the centre – this is a good thing.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into squares.