This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
With a quick homemade crust that's easier to roll out than store-bought, this is a great first recipe for preteens
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 g) envelope quick-rise instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil , (plus extra for brushing)
- cornmeal , for baking sheets
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 125 g thinly sliced ham
- 6 white button mushrooms , thinly sliced
- marinated artichoke hearts , drained and halved
- jarred roasted red peppers , drained and cut into strips
- 1 340-g ball mozzarella , shredded
- other favourite toppings
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in warm water and oil to make a soft dough that forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the bowl. Pick up the dough and fold it over on itself a few times.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap and tuck in a warm place to let dough rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 550°F (290°C). Lightly sprinkle two 17 x 12 in (43 x 30 cm) rectangular baking sheets with cornmeal. Divide the dough in half. Using a rolling pin on a floured surface, roll each half into a rectangular shape and transfer to the pan; it’s OK if the dough doesn’t reach the edges. Brush the tops lightly with olive oil, then spread with tomato sauce.
- Arrange toppings in the quadrants of each pizza and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 14 to 15 minutes until crust is deep brown around the edges and cheese is melted.