Fluffy Parmesan Scones
Contributed by Delaine Smith, Owen Sound, Ontario. Winner in the Muffin and Quick Bread Contest, savoury quick breads category. A hands-down favourite with both kids and adults.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp additional grated Parmesan , (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, ½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan cheese, baking powder and salt. With a pastry cutter (or two knives), cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles the texture of coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and stir until it forms a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface (tabletop or cutting board) and knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Roll or pat to ¾ in. (2 cm) thickness, and cut into shapes with a biscuit cutter (or a floured glass). Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle tops with the additional Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.