Eyes of Newt
Here's a nice little horror-d'oeuvre to set the mood for a creepy feast. They can be arranged on a platter and eaten as is, or used to garnish a salad. Lots of fun for even your littlest monsters to make.
- 1 375-mL can extra large pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup orange cheddar , finely grated
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- Drain the olives and dump them out on a double layer of paper towel to absorb the liquid. In a small bowl, mash together the cheese and the mayonnaise, mixing until it is fairly smooth.
- Now here’s the fun part. Pick up a little bit of the cheese mixture with your (or your child’s) fingers and squish it into the empty socket in the olive, pushing in as much as you can, until the olive is full. Wipe away any messy overflow, and place the eyeball – er, olive – on a plate. Repeat until you use up all the olives and/or all the cheese.
- Cackle malevolently as you serve them.