This article has not been rated yet.
1 to 1 servings
Sandwiches are tricky to make the night before - the bread gets soggy, the veggies lose their crunch. By keeping the key parts separate until it's time to eat, this exploded version is magic for you and your lunch-bagger. Serve with the easy and delicious Homemade Ranch Dressing below (yes, you can make that ahead too!) or your child's favourite bottled dressing. In a secure plastic container, pack dressing to spread on the sandwich or to dunk fixings. Recipe by Bonny Reichert
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1/2 cup loosely packed dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 slices cucumber
- 4 carrots , or celery sticks
- 4 pieces firm cheese , such as cheddar or mozzarella, cut into sticks
- 2 thick slices luncheon meat , such as roast turkey or beef, cut into sticks
- 1 slice whole wheat bread , cut into sticks
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. The mixture will thicken in the fridge, so it’s best to make it at least a day ahead.
- Pack the vegetables, cheese, meat, bread and 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) dressing in separate containers or a plastic box with multiple sections. Everything but the bread should go in the fridge until it’s time to leave for school.
- Makes 1 cup (250 mL) dressing and 1 exploded sandwich for a big appetite.
- In a serving: 486 calories, 26.9 g protein, 32.2 g fat, 24.1 g carbohydrates