Double Lemon Bars
These delicate, creamy double lemon bars are so delicious, I make them year-round. This version gets an extra citrusy boost with the addition of candied citron peel.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice , about 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 100 g pkg candied citron peel
- icing sugar , for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Coat or generously spray a 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking dish with oil, or grease with butter.
- Prepare base by stirring flour with sugar in a medium bowl. Using your fingers and thumbs, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Turn into baking dish. Press evenly over bottom. Bake in centre of oven until base is lightly golden around the edges, 15–18 minutes. Remove to a rack while you prepare filling.
- In the same bowl, whisk eggs. Add sugar and whisk until evenly mixed. Stir in lemon juice. Sift flour overtop, whisking until smooth. Sprinkle half of citron peel over baked base. Slowly and evenly pour lemon filling overtop. Bake in centre of oven until puffed and set, and brown around the edges, 25–30 minutes.
- Remove to rack. Cool completely. If made ahead, lemon bars will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days (or frozen for up to 1 month). If refrigerated or frozen, bring to room temperature. Just before serving, dust with icing sugar, sprinkle with remaining citron peel, and cut.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 23 g,
- 4 g,