Double Chocolate Biscotti
This article has not been rated yet.
5 to 5 servings
A classic biscotti has no butter or oil and is a crunchy mouthful, perfect with a glass of cold milk or a warm cup of coffee. These cookies feature mini dark chocolate chips and for decadence's sake (and to top up the flavonoids) are dipped in dark chocolate too. But make sure you use soft flour - look for it in the bulk section of your supermarket - and not just regular all-purpose!
- 3/4 cup whole unblanched almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups soft whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour , for dusting
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 28-g squares semi-sweet chocolate , (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange almonds on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes, flipping them halfway. Allow to cool. In a food processor, add sugar, then with blade running pour ½ cup toasted almonds through the feeding tube and grind into a fine powder. Coarsely chop remaining ¼ cup almonds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ground almonds and sugar, chopped almonds, the soft whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, chocolate chips, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites, orange zest and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and combine. Knead the dough right in the bowl for 1 to 2 minutes. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Dust countertop with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour and roll a piece of dough into a 9 by 1½ in. (23 by 4 cm) log. Repeat 3 times.
- On a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, arrange logs and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 25 minutes or until golden. To test, lightly press down on dough with your finger. It should not leave an indentation.
- Cool on a rack for at least an hour. Slice each log into ½ in. (1 cm) slices. Place each slice, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake in 300°F (150°C) oven for 20 minutes or until dry and light golden.
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate at medium in microwave oven until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a spoon or fork, drizzle chocolate over each biscotti. Arrange on a rack and allow to set and dry for another 24 hours.