Do-It-Yourself Pizza Factory
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
- enough homemade or store-bought pizza dough , for 1 large pizza, or 6 ready-made, pre-baked individual pizza shells
- spaghetti sauce
- pesto sauce
- shredded mozzarella , or Monterey jack
- cooked ground beef
- cooked chicken breast , cut in chunks
- pepperoni , sliced
- cooked bacon , crumbled
- mushrooms , sliced
- olives , (green and/or black), sliced
- onion , chopped
- fresh tomato , chopped
- pineapple chunks
- hot pepper rings
- First, arrange all the toppings (choose as many as you like) in individual bowls. The younger your sleepover guests are, the fewer choices you will have to offer – don’t worry, they’ll be happy with whatever you give them.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a cookie sheet or two (depending on how many pizzas you’ll be making).
- Next, if you’re using ready-made, pre-baked pizza shells, simply hand one to each child and turn them loose with the toppings. If you’re using homemade or store-bought pizza dough, divide it into 6 pieces and let everyone roll out her own dough on a floured surface to about 6 in. (15 cm) in diameter. This can be a messy process, so if you’d prefer to avoid the chaos, roll the dough out yourself ahead of time and just let the kids put on the toppings. Words of advice: sauce first (not too much), cheese next, veggies and other lumpy bits on top.
- Place the finished masterpieces on a well-greased cookie sheet and, if you’re using dough as a base, leave room between them for expansion (pre-baked crusts won’t spread out). Place pans on the lowest oven rack and bake for 10 (for pre-baked crusts) to 20 minutes (raw dough), or until the crusts are lightly browned underneath, the toppings are heated and cheese is bubbling.