Deluxe Croque Monsieur Sandwich
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2 servings
Here's a fabulous variation on every kid's lunchtime favourite - the grilled cheese sandwich. Use ham or turkey if you like, or make it with just cheese - whatever you call it, it's delicious.
- 4 slices sandwich bread , (your favourite)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar , or Swiss
- 85 g thinly sliced deli ham , or smoked turkey (optional)
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper , to taste
- 2 tbsp butter , or vegetable oil
- Place 2 slices of bread on a plate. Top with ½ the shredded cheese, all of the ham or turkey (if you’re using it), then the rest of the cheese. Cover with the remaining 2 slices of bread.
- In a wide, shallow bowl (like a pie plate), combine the eggs, salt and pepper. Quickly dip each sandwich into the beaten egg, turning over to lightly coat both sides. The egg mixture doesn’t have to really soak through the bread – a quick dip will do.
- Add the butter or vegetable oil to a large skillet and place over medium-low heat. Add the sandwiches to the pan and cook, turning once, until the bread is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted and gooey – about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. (If your pan isn’t large enough to accommodate both sandwiches at once, cook them one at a time using ½ the butter or oil for each one.)