Delicious (and Easy) Lunch-box Hummus
2 to 2 servings
Why don't we think of making stuff like this for our kids more often? Do we think they won't like it? Are we trying to protect their delicate taste buds? Reality check: Kids love hummus. Make a double batch - some for them and some for you.
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , drained, but liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup liquid , from the can of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini , (sesame paste – available at Middle Eastern and health-food stores and some supermarkets) or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves , (or less, or none)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Put everything in the blender or food processor and zip it until really smooth, scraping down the sides 2 or 3 times. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Hummus should be a little thicker than, say, sour cream. If it’s too thick, add another spoonful or two of chick-pea liquid to loosen it up.
- Adult hummus lovers may want to add a sprinkle of ground cumin (and more garlic) to the mixture.
- Serve with pita bread or vegetable dippers.