Creamy Oven-Baked Rice Pudding
4 to 4 servings
Rice pudding is a dessert that you can stir together and then, basically, forget about. Using short-grain or Italian arborio rice for this recipe really does make a difference.
- 1/3 cup short-grain white rice , (or Italian arborio)
- 3 cups hot milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup raisins , (totally optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Before you do anything else, preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Have your young helper stir together the rice, hot milk, sugar and butter in a bowl. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish and slide it into the preheated oven. Let bake, uncovered, for 2½ hours, stirring about every half hour or so – or whenever you think of it. If you’re using raisins (Dustin hates them, Jared loves them – it’s a dilemma in our house) add them only during the last half hour of the baking time.
- Remove pudding from the oven, stir in the vanilla, and sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Let cool before eating. Is this not the best thing in the world?