Creamy Cheddar and Apple Bites
These creamy cheddar and apple bites may be unusual, but they're sure to please any cheese lover (young or old).
- 1 250 g block cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-2 peeled sweet apples , such as Empire, Ida Red or Red Delicious
- 3/4 cup finely grated cheddar
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and place in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Coarsely grate apple onto a paper towel. Fold up paper towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Place packed grated apple in a small bowl and add orange juice. Toss to coat; this will prevent apple from browning quickly. Stir apple into cream cheese and refrigerate until firm, 1½-2 hours.
- When firm, scoop 1 heaping tsp (7 mL) and roll into a ball. Place grated cheddar on a plate. Roll apple ball in cheddar until coated, then place on a platter. Repeat with remaining cream cheese mixture and cheddar. Serve immediately.
- If made ahead, apple balls will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 day.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 11.5 g,