This article has not been rated yet.
These Cream Puffs are easy to make but look like they came from a professional bakery. Prepare to dazzle your guests.
unsweetened cocoa powder
, (6 oz), broken into chunks
- First make the pastry puffs. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a large cookie sheet (or two smaller ones) with parchment paper and grease the paper lightly. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter and sugar, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the flour all at once, stirring constantly over low heat until the mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a ball. Remove pan from heat and let cool for a minute or two.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs into the cooked mixture one at a time, beating well after each egg, until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls—about ¼ cup (50 mL) each—onto the cookie sheet. Leave plenty of room between the blobs for expansion. They’ll puff to more than double as they bake. Bake for 35 minutes, then open the oven door and quickly cut a hole into the side of each puff to allow steam to escape, and continue to bake for another 5 minutes – until puffed, golden brown and crisp. Let cool.
- Now make the filling. In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream with the ¼ cup (50 mL) of sugar and the cocoa powder until stiff. With a sharp knife, cut the top off each puff and spoon in some of the chocolate cream filling. Replace the top.
- Finally, make the Chocolate Ganache Glaze. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 6 squares (1 oz/28 g each) semi-sweet chocolate, broken into chunks, and ½ cup (50 mL) whipping cream. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds, stir, microwave for another 10 to 15 seconds, and stir until completely smooth. Let glaze mixture cool for five or 10 minutes, then drizzle or spread over the top of the filled cream puffs. Refrigerate until set.