Cranberry Yogurt Cake
This article has not been rated yet.
1 to 1 servings
Leftovers the kids will gobble up.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cranberry sauce , (homemade or from a can)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts , chopped
- In a large bowl, have your young helper whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and yogurt, beating until smooth. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and stir until smooth. But don’t overstir – a few lumps are OK. Now, immediately pour the batter into a well-greased 8 or 9 in. (20 or 22 cm) square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce, cinnamon and walnuts. Using a teaspoon, drop dollops of this cranberry mixture onto the batter in the baking pan, covering the top as evenly as possible. Don’t stir it in, don’t smooth it out. It’s fine to have some batter showing through. When it bakes, the batter will rise up through the cranberry mixture, creating a cool peekaboo effect.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the middle of the cake comes out clean-ish. Dust with icing sugar if you like, and cut into squares to serve.