A plate of these munchie-killers is guaranteed to take a secret meeting right through to suppertime.
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick baking spray.
- Scrub the potatoes well, but don’t peel them. Cut crosswise into ¼ in. (0.5 cm) slices and arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes, turning the slices over about halfway through the baking time. The potatoes should be tender and beginning to brown on top.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, have your child toss together the shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions. When the potatoes are done, brush each slice lightly with barbecue sauce, then top with the cheese mixture, dividing it evenly. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Let cool for a minute or two before serving.
- Italian Cowboy Potatoes: Use mozzarella cheese and pepperoni instead of the cheddar and bacon. And brush the potatoes with spaghetti sauce instead of barbecue sauce before adding the topping.
- Mexican Cowboy Potatoes: Use Monterey Jack cheese and drained canned black beans instead of the cheddar and bacon. Spoon a little salsa on each potato instead of the barbecue sauce before topping.