This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Baking time: 20 minutes
Cornbread is a subtly sweet bread that comes together in a snap and pairs perfectly with chilis and soups.
1 1/2 cups
1 1/3 cups
- Grease an 8-in. square baking pan and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Measure the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together the oil, egg and milk. Then, pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. A few lumps are OK; resist the temptation to overbeat.
- Pour batter into the baking pan, spreading so the top is even. Bake for about 20 min, or until a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for just a couple of min before cutting into squares, then serve while still warm.