This article has not been rated yet.
These are great hot from the oven. But if you have any left, they reheat well, and can even be packed in a lunchbox and eaten cold.
, chicken or turkey
, finely minced
, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375F. Set bread dough aside to rise.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, combine the ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook over medium, stirring to break up chunks, 5 to 8 min, until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are softened. Drain off fat and add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Cook for another 7 to 10 min and remove from heat.
- Punch a fist into the homemade dough to deflate it. Turn dough onto the table and knead it a few times.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Sprinkle table with cornmeal and, using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough out into a thin 5- to 6-in. circle.
- Place a large pinch of shredded cheese in the middle of each circle of dough and top it with a spoonful of taco filling. Fold the sides of the circle toward the middle, then roll up from the bottom to form an envelope, making sure filling is enclosed. Place packets, seam-side-down, onto a greased baking sheet.
- Let them rise again for 15 to 20 min before baking, about 15 min or until browned on the bottom and lightly golden on top. Let cool a few minutes before eating.