Coconut Sea Urchin Cookies
This article has not been rated yet.
These spiny little creatures are so light they might just float away. So eat them quickly before they escape.
- 4 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut , (the store-bought kind)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar , divided
- 1/4 cup grated orange zest
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- almond slices , for the wings
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut with the orange rind and 1 cup (250ml) of the sugar. Have a small, friendly beachcomber toss this together.
- In another large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add ¼ cup (150ml) sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form when the beater is lifted. Fold in the coconut mixture gently, but thoroughly.
- Drop this mixture by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Poke two almond slices into each side of the cookies to form wings -they should look sort of like dragonfly wings. Bake at 300°F (150°C) for 30 minutes, or until very lightly browned and crisp.