Coconut Chicken on a Stick
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
If you prefer, you can omit the stick part of this recipe and just do chicken fingers instead. Cut the chicken breasts lengthwise into strips, dip in the egg mixture and bake as below. Just as good, but without the potential weapon at the table.
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 500 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a large cookie sheet (or two small ones).
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut, flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk together the egg with the vegetable oil and garlic.
- Cut chicken breasts into ½ in. (1 cm) chunks. (Don’t forget to wash your hands!) Thread the chicken chunks onto 6 or 8 in. (15 or 20 cm) bamboo skewers, leaving about half of the skewer exposed (in other words, leave a handle).
- With a pastry brush, brush each skewer evenly with the egg mixture, then roll in the coconut mixture, patting to make sure the coating adheres well. Arrange on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the skewers over and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Serve with a selection of dipping sauces.