Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Squares
36 to 36 servings
These decadent squares fall somewhere between a very dense brownie and a chocolate truffle. (no wheat; can be non-dairy)
- 6 tbsp butter , or non-dairy margarine
- 2 28-g squares unsweetened chocolate , (2 oz)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts , finely ground
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease an 8 in. (20 cm) square baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt together the butter, or margarine, and the chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer or whisk until blended, then stir in the hazelnuts. Mix thoroughly and spread batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until set, and a toothpick poked into the middle of the dish comes out more or less clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting into tiny little squares, then store at the back of the refrigerator in an opaque container labelled liver (to thwart pilferage).