This article has not been rated yet.
- 8 28-g squares semi-sweet chocolate , (8 oz)
- 1 tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 1 200-g bag pretzels , (the mini ones are great if you can get them), some of the salt rubbed off before dipping
- Line a couple of baking sheets with waxed paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate with the vegetable shortening in a double boiler or a small saucepan set over hot (not boiling) water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Dump the pretzels into the melted chocolate, about 10 at a time, and stir to coat. Fish them out one at a time with a fork, letting the excess chocolate drip off, and place them on the waxed paper to harden. Continue to dip until you use up all the chocolate or all the pretzels. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, then peel the pretzels off the paper and pack into boxes or tins. Irresistible.
- Note: For complex scientific reasons, after a few days the chocolate coating on the pretzels may develop (harmless) white spots. Don’t worry, they won’t affect the taste, and anyway the pretzels will probably be long gone before you notice anything.