* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 120 minutes, Baking time: 16 minutes
Looking for a cookie that tastes fudgey like a brownie and is also free of eggs, nuts and dairy? Enter chocolate crinkles. Double the recipe, these will disappear.
1 3/4 cups
2 1/4 cups
- Using an electric mixer, combine granulated sugar, cocoa powder, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to cocoa mixture in 3 parts, mixing each addition well with an electric mixer for a soft, wet batter. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours. It must be well chilled to roll, so don’t skip this step!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift icing sugar into a shallow bowl. Scoop spoonfuls of dough and roll between your hands to make 1 1/2-in. balls. Roll them in icing sugar until well coated. The more sugar on the outside, the better the effect. Place on the baking sheets about 2 in. apart. Bake for 10 min — but check at 8. They should be puffed and just set, so they’ll have a soft, brownie-like texture. Cool completely on a rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 15 g,
- 3 g,
Photo by Roberto Caruso.