Chocolate Covered Ganache Pecan Tart
This article has not been rated yet.
12 to 12 servings
Lianne Panther of West Vancouver submitted this killer recipe which would have totally knocked our socks off, had we been wearing any.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 250 g bittersweet chocolate , (or semi-sweet), chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup 35% cream , heated to a simmer
- whole pecan halves , for garnish
- Measure the 2 cups (500 mL) of pecans and the sugar into the bowl of a food processor. Process until the nuts are finely ground, then, with the motor running, add the melted butter, continuing to process until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 10 in. (25 cm) tart pan, making the bottom about 1/8 in. thick, and the sides about ¼ in. thick. (You don’t have to get out the calipers, just try to make the bottom thinner than the sides.) Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is lightly coloured. Let cool.
- In the top of a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate, then stir in the egg yolk and the hot whipping cream, whisking over the heat until the mixture is just combined. Remove from heat and pour the mixture into the pecan crust. Chill for at least 3 hours, then have your child help decorate the top with pecan halves.