Chocolate Covered Blueberries
Chocolate covered blueberries look like giant chocolate-covered frog eggs, kids have said, but that doesn't stop them being gobbled up. It is chocolate, after all.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp solid vegetable shortening , (not butter or margarine)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries , rinsed and completely dried (1 pint)
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Place the chocolate and vegetable shortening in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power, 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. (The shortening helps the chocolate stay glossy and smooth as it melts. Do not use butter or margarine – they contain water, which will cause the chocolate to seize up and become clumpy.)
- Add the blueberries to the chocolate and stir gently until they are well coated. Spoon the blueberry mixture onto the waxed paper in small clumps, each one containing about 4 to 6 berries, depending on the size. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened. Store in a cool place.
- These are best eaten the day they are made, but will keep for two days.