Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2 servings
These meringue cookies are addictively delicious, light as a feather and wonderfully chocolatey. (And they're a perfect way to use up two leftover egg whites.)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder , sifted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment paper.
- In a deep, scrupulously clean bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until the whole thing is stiff and glossy. Add the vanilla and the cocoa powder and beat briefly, just until evenly mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto the prepared cookie sheets by heaping teaspoons, about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. (Don’t worry; they won’t spread very much.) Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven – but don’t open the door. Leave the cookies in the oven for an additional two hours – or longer (overnight is fine). The cookies should be crisp and the centres dry. Remove from pan and store in an airtight container.