Chickpea and Tuna Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
This chickpea and tuna salad is just as good as a filling for pita pockets as it is served on a plate and eaten with a fork.
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 170-g can solid or chunk tuna , drained
- 1/2 medium red onion , chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery , (2 to 3 stalks)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, have your child (gently) combine the chickpeas, tuna, onion, celery, cherry tomatoes and parsley. Don’t smush up the tuna chunks too much – they should be clearly visible to the naked eye.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Combine with the tuna-chickpea mixture, and toss until mixed. Devour immediately or refrigerate, covered, for as long as overnight before serving.
- Chick Chick Variation: Not a tuna-loving family? Make this salad with 1 cup (250 mL) diced cooked chicken instead.