Chewy Trail Mix Cereal Bars
This article has not been rated yet.
25 to 25 servings
Perfect to pack in a kid's lunch box or hockey bag - or to take along when you climb Mount Everest. You never know.
- 4 cups O-shaped oat cereal
- 3 cups trail mix , (any kind)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Grease a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cereal and the trail mix. If your child is helping you, make sure she doesn’t secretly pick out all the good bits (the cashews, in our house).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and flour and bring to a boil, stirring often. Once it reaches a boil, continue to cook, stirring constantly for one minute. Remove from heat and pour over the trail mix and cereal in the bowl. Be careful – this stuff is hot! Little helpers should stand back. Stir and toss until everything is evenly coated with sticky goo, then dump into the prepared baking dish. With a greased spatula (good kid job here), press the mixture down firmly into an even layer. Let cool completely at room temperature — at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars with a sharp knife and wrap individually in plastic wrap.