Cheddar and Bacon Scones
* PLUS Cooking time: 6 minutes, Baking time: 22 minutes
These cheddar and bacon scones are a savoury twist on a breakfast favourite. They're also great for school lunch boxes!
, about 6 strips
1 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop 6 oz. of lowsodium bacon (about 6 strips). Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat for 6 to 8 min or until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve.
- Combine 1½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp mustard powder in a bowl and stir with a fork until uniform.
- Use a grater to grate ? cup frozen unsalted butter into flour mixture, and add ½ cup grated old cheddar cheese, ¼ cup chopped green onion and reserved bacon.
- Measure out 2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk and stir in enough buttermilk to make a shaggy dough (you may need just a little more or less).
- Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet and pat into a round about 1-in. thick. Cut dough into 8 wedges and separate on baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 min or until scones are golden brown and cooked through.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 20 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 388 mg.
Use frozen butter to make these scones exceptionally flaky. Individually wrapped sticks of butter store well in the freezer and grate easily.