Originally published in the Today’s Parent September 2014 issue.
Broccoli and Ham BiscuitsBy Eshun Mott
Take your grandma's biscuits for a fresh new spin with this tasty alternative.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup cooked broccoli florets , mashed
- 1/3 cup cooked ham , chopped
- 1 egg , beaten for brushing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, salt, soda and sugar in a bowl. Coarsely grate in cold butter and toss with dry ingredients until well combined.
- Work in mashed broccoli florets with your fingers, then add ham and buttermilk and work until all dry ingredients have been absorbed. (Note: It’s good if biscuit dough seems just a little bit wet. If yours isn’t, add a touch more buttermilk.)
- Form dough into a ball and pat into a circle about 1 in. thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place 1 in. apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg, if desired. Bake for 20 min, or until biscuits are lightly golden and cooked through.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 26 g,
- 13 g,
- 3 g,
- 337 mg.