Breaded Tofu Fingers
This article has not been rated yet.
16 to 16 servings
I've never met a kid who doesn't like this. (But don't forget the dipping sauces!)
- 1 300-g pkg extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano , crumbled
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg , beaten
- Cut the block of tofu into fingers – about 1/2 in. (1 cm) thick and 3 in. (8 cm) long. More or less. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Measure flour into another small bowl. Have egg ready in a third bowl.
- First toss the tofu fingers in the flour, then dip each one into the beaten egg and roll in the bread crumb mixture. (The flour step, by the way, helps bind the egg and crumbs to the tofu, so that the crumbs don’t just fall off.) Your child may be able to do the breading all by himself, once you show him what to do. Place breaded fingers on a well-greased cookie sheet and bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
- Serve fingers hot with dipping sauces – ketchup, sweet and sour, plum sauce, barbecue sauce, hot mustard, whatever.