As far as we're concerned, these are perfect brownies. Easy to make, chewy, dense, and intensely chocolate. They're fantastic plain, or topped with your favourite chocolate frosting recipe.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 28-g square unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts , or pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Measure the butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate into a medium saucepan set on the stove over low heat. Let the chocolate and butter melt, stirring constantly until completely smooth. Remove from heat, and let the chocolate mixture cool for just a few minutes.
- Now, add the sugar, eggs, flour, nuts and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Spread the batter evenly into a well-greased 8 in. (20 cm) square baking pan. Place the pan into a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes—until set in the middle, but not dry.
- Let cool—if you can—before sprinkling with icing sugar and cutting into squares.