Black Bean Tacos with Mango Slaw
8 to 10 servings
Swapping the usual ground beef for canned beans makes these Mexican-inspired tacos incredibly quick and easy to make.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , diced
- 1 540-mL can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes , diced
- 1 small red sweet pepper , diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 to 10 taco shells , warmed
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta , or shredded cheddar
- 2 avocados , diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sour cream , (regular or low fat)
- 2 cups (generous) shredded green cabbage
- 1 mango , peeled and sliced in thin strips
- 1/2 cup small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- First, make the taco filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add black beans, tomatoes, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring often, until tomatoes begin to break down and mixture becomes hot, about 5-7 minutes.
- Now, make the Mango Slaw: In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice and sour cream. Add cabbage, mango, red onion and cilantro, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill bottom of taco shells with black bean mixture. Top with cheese and avocado, and a healthy dollop of Mango Slaw, if you wish. Serve remaining slaw on the side.
- Makes 8-10 tacos.
- In 1 taco: 264 calories, 7 g protein, 16 g fat, 27 g carbs, 8 g dietary fibre, 83 mcg folate, 49 mg magnesium, 2 mg iron