Big Batch Banana Bran Muffins
Make this recipe today, then store the leftovers for a homemade snack your family can enjoy anytime
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups natural bran , (not bran cereal)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana , (5 or 6 bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries , raisins or (oh, fine) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease two 12-compartment muffin pans or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well mixed.
- In another large bowl, combine the brown sugar, vegetable oil and eggs. Whisk until well blended. Add the mashed banana, yogurt and vanilla and continue whisking until smooth. Stir this wet mixture into the flour mixture just until evenly mixed (don’t overbeat). Stir in the dried cranberries (or whatever). Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pans, dividing the batter equally. The cups should be filled just about to the tops. Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and let cool to room temperature. As soon as they’re cool, you can wrap the muffins individually in plastic and freeze in a zipper-top plastic bag.