Bananas as a Vegetable
This article has not been rated yet.
Dustin comes into the kitchen and catches me in the act. How dare you? he wails, indignantly. You're vegetableizing bananas! And so I was. And it was very good.
- 4 bananas , (barely ripe)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel the bananas, cut each one in half crosswise, then cut each half in half lengthwise. This will give you 4 pieces, each one with a flat side and a rounded side.
- In a bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Have your little monkey, er, I mean child, roll each piece of banana in the flour mixture to coat lightly.
- Meanwhile, pour enough vegetable oil into a large frying pan to cover the bottom evenly and place on the stove over medium heat. When a drop of water in the pan sizzles, arrange the bananas in a single layer in the hot skillet. Let cook for 2 to 4 minutes, until golden brown, then turn each piece over and allow the other side to cook until golden. Using a spatula or pancake flipper, carefully remove from the pan and put onto a warm plate. (You may have to do this in batches unless you have a huge frying pan.) Add a little oil to the pan, if necessary, between batches. Serve hot. This makes a very neat side dish with barbecued chicken.