Banana Oatmeal Cookies
These soft, spicy cookies will make your house smell very nice while they're baking. And they taste good, besides.
- 3/4 cup butter , or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 large, ripe bananas , cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup pecans , or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon , (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg , (optional)
- Dump the butter, sugar, egg and bananas into a blender or a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides a couple of times, until the mixture is smooth. Add the pecans or walnuts and process briefly – just until the nuts are chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Hand your child a wooden spoon and have her stir while you pour in the banana mixture. Depending on your child, she may need a little help getting it well mixed -the batter will be thick.
- Plunk the cookie batter, by heaping teaspoons, onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about 1 ½ inches (4 cm) apart. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom, and firm but not crunchy.