Recipe from Quinoa Revolution: 150 Healthy, Great-Tasting Recipes by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming. Copyright © Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming, 2012. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Group (Canada) Inc, a division of Pearson Canada Inc.
Banana Mouse Pops
These quinoa pops can be made with marshmallow ears and chocolate chip eyes, or apricot ears and currant eyes for a healthier version. Easily multiply the ingredients to make as many pops as you please.
- 1 small unpeeled banana
- lollypop sticks
- 1 tbsp quinoa flakes
- 1 tbsp unsweetened or flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 large dried apricot , halved crosswise
- 3 dried currants
- Cut 1 in. from the stem end of the banana. Insert a lollipop stick into cut end, pushing it in 2 to 3 in. (If desired, insert the stick into the underside of the banana.) Remove banana peel, cover banana with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the quinoa flakes and coconut on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant and toasted, about 5 min. Set aside to cool.
- Remove plastic wrap from the frozen banana and spread 1 tbsp of the peanut butter over the banana. Place the quinoa-coconut mixture on a plate. Roll the banana in the flakes, making sure to cover the entire banana.
- Using the remaining 1 tsp peanut butter as glue, attach the apricot halves for ears and currants for eyes and nose. Serve these pops immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 34 g,
- 12 g,
- 5 g,
- 180 mg.