Apple Tuna Melts
This article has not been rated yet.
Enjoy the season's abundance of apples in this sweet-and-savoury sandwich that's easy enough for kids to prepare
, well drained
, (light or regular)
, such as Granny Smith, Empire, Crispin or Cortland
- Preheat broiler. In a medium bowl, stir tuna with celery, mayo and lemon juice. Taste and add a little more mayo if you wish. (You will probably find you use less mayo if you start with oil-packed tuna – Italian brands are best, and the taste is phenomenal. But if you prefer water-packed tuna, go ahead and use it.)
- Split English muffins in half, toast if you wish, and place on a baking sheet. Top each muffin half with ¼ of the tuna mixture. Core apple (no need to peel) and slice into very thin wedges. Arrange over tuna. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Broil (with adult help!) just until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Makes 4 open-faced sandwiches.
- In 1 Apple Tuna Melt: 237 calories, 16.8 g protein, 10.8 g fat, 19.2 g carbohydrates, 3.0 g dietary fibre, 200 mg calcium