Apple Oatmeal Muffins
8 to 10 servings
Because we like our muffins mammoth-sized, I usually only get 8 muffins out of this recipe. For more modest eaters, however, you can make them smaller - either way they'll be delish. And for extra apple-y goodness, serve with your very own homemade apple butter.
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats , (not instant)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped apples , (peeled or not - your choice)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the rolled oats and the yogurt. Let soak for 10 minutes or so, then stir in the egg, brown sugar, and vegetable oil.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add this mixture to the oat mixture, and stir just until combined. The batter will be quite thick – but that’s OK. Stir in the chopped apples. Spoon batter into 8 to 10 cups of the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups all the way to the top. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of the unbaked muffins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until nicely browned on top and a toothpick poked into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for a minute or two before removing from the pan.